In an upcoming series of blog posts I’d like to share our Marketing Cloud experiences at Funding Circle Continental Europe. We started working with Salesforce Marketing Cloud, previously named as Exact Target, in mid 2015 and look back on more than 12 months sweat-, tear- and joyful work. In part 1, you learn how to connect your Salesforce Sales/ Service cloud with the Marketing Cloud.
„Marketing Cloud Connect (formerly the v5 Salesforce Integration) connects the digital marketing capabilities of the Salesforce Marketing Cloud with the data management, segmentation and campaign management tools in Salesforce“, says the official Marketing Cloud documentation. Unfortunately does this handbook miss some essential parts and does not cover any error messages.
The Marketing Cloud Connect – once you’ve set it up properly – enables the Marketing Cloud to access all data you want to use from the Salesforce Sales Cloud: Leads, Campaigns, Opportunities, Contacts. The setup is still a bit challenging, but not too complicated. But when you’re done, you can use all data to send newsletters, automated trigger-campaigns based on data from Salesforce. The options are endless.
- Log into both account with full admin rights.
- Install this package in Salesforce (chose min. 1 Admin) https://login.salesforce.com/packaging/installPackage.apexp?p0=04ti0000000Tj9E
- In Marketing Cloud. Go in Marketing Cloud to Email > Admin. The, below Account Settings, choose Salesforce Integration. Choose „Edit“ in order to update the Connect and follow the guide. It doesn’t matter which account you use for the connect. Unlike the previous Connector the data flow is no longer done via a tracking/“data flow“-user, but via the App. This makes a lot of things easier and more convenient.
- Marketing Cloud will ask you to migrate all existing users to the new Connect version. Follow this simple instruction.
- In Salesforce: You or your Salesforce Admin must conduct the steps (starting at 12) in this documentation then: http://help.marketingcloud.
com/en/documentation/ integrated_products__crm_and_ web_analytic_solutions/ marketing_cloud_connector_v5/ key_concepts/connected_app_ authentication/upgrading_to_ connected_app_authentication/
- It’s important that your Salesforce account you’re using to access Salesforce reports in Marketing Cloud is enabled with sufficient admin rights: You must be „AppExchange User“ and also a „Valid Marketing Cloud Admin“ and -„User“. Only then you can use Salesforce reports directly from Marketing Cloud.
- Back in Marketing Cloud: Enable Data Streams (only for Journey Builder) in order to make the Salesforce data fully accessible for Marketing Cloud. Go to Audience Builder > Contact Builder. In the menu, chose „Data Sources“ and click the tab „Synchronized“. If you see your respective Salesforce entity with a green check mark, you’re on a good way. First, your synchronized enitities appear as empty. So click on „available“ and choose the set of data you want to access from Marketing Cloud. You need to enable Contacts, Opportunities, Leads, Users and Accounts before you can chose anything else, since this is a core set of data you might use in Marketing Cloud.